Building Up or Building Out
Does your home need more space? Perhaps a growing family or a new hobby finds you need to expand your current space. Room additions can take shape in a variety of ways- whether you build up or build-out we take personal pride in our attention to detail on your home additions. From start to finish, we focus on quality craftsmanship, innovation, and the professional completion of your design and construction objectives. Take a look at the types of home additions to decide what's right for you:
Second-story additions are a great way to expand the living space in your current home. Depending on the situation, building up can sometimes be less expensive per square foot than building out because there won't be any need for foundation building. With a second-floor addition, you can add bedrooms, bathrooms, an office/study, or any other space you desire.
WHY SHOULD I BUILD A SECOND-STORY ADDITION?
Building a second-story addition onto your current Fox Valley home can allow you to:
- Create additional living space without having to move. This means you can stay in your beloved neighborhood and avoid uprooting your children from their current schools or increasing your daily commute.
- Increase the value of your home. By adding more bedrooms, bathrooms, and other spaces in your second-story addition, you will be able to increase your home's value. If you have resale in mind, two-story addition is a great investment.
- Keep your outdoor living space as is. Since you're not building out, you don't have to worry about reducing the size of your yard or removing existing outdoor spaces like patios, decks, or outdoor kitchens.
- Design the layout and features of every room.
- Build a space to suit your needs and design preferences. With a second-story addition, you can tailor the new space to your lifestyle and add your own personality to the design. Do you want a tranquil farmhouse feel or a sleek contemporary look? It's all up to you!
If a full second-story addition is a little more than what you need, consider a dormer addition. A dormer is an addition that comes through the roof to create a higher ceiling and more interior space. This will require removing part of the roof and building the new structure into the space. You can use the dormer addition to create a private office, bedroom, or playroom.
[ Read More: Is a Second-Story Addition the Right Choice for Your Family? ]
Family Room and Game Room Additions
Every home needs to have a family room or game room! It's the perfect space in your home to gather with friends and family, enjoy the video and board games, and watch movies. If you're thinking about building a family room or game room addition in your Fox Valley home, you'll want to consider features like a:
- Wide-Screen Television or Projector
- Built-In Surround Sound System
- Wet Bar with Built-In Wine Cooler
- Built-in Shelves and Storage
- Beverage and Snack Refrigerator
- Homework Station with a Built-in Desk
- Exposed Wood Beams
Want to incorporate even more fun into the space? Consider adding a poker table, arcade games, and a ping-pong table!
[ Read More: Incorporating a Playroom into Your Sycamore Remodel ]
You want to stop sharing a bathroom with your children, and who could blame you? So what's the best solution? Creating a tranquil master bathroom for you to unwind after a long day at work. Don't have enough bathrooms to suit your family and guests? Consider building a new bathroom on the main level of your home to accommodate the whole family. A bathroom addition will not only give you the space that you need but will also help to increase the value of your home. If you're looking to create a new master or guest bath, some of the things you'll want to consider include:
- Style: Which style do you like best? Contemporary, Farmhouse, Traditional, Modern, Transitional?
- Layout: Where do you want your vanity, shower, and toilet to be located?
- Storage Needs: Features like his and hers vanities offer lots of storage space.
- Material Options for Your Countertop, Cabinets, and Backsplash: Do you want Quartz countertops with an oak wood vanity and a glass tile backsplash?
- Flooring: What kind of flooring do you want? Wood, ceramic tile, vinyl, or concrete?
- Lighting: Do you want sconces, pendant lights, or recessed lighting in your new bathroom?
- Luxury Features: Add some luxury with a freestanding tub or walk-in shower.
- Universal Design Elements: Grab bars, non-slip flooring, and barrier-free showers are all options you should consider for aging in place
Do you want to see some of our bathroom additions? Check out our Bathroom Remodeling Gallery to view all of our past projects across the Fox Valley.
[ Read More: 4 Bathroom Designs for Your Sycamore Home ]
Create an incredible in-law suite or basement apartment with a kitchen addition. This will allow your in-laws, guests, or tenants to have a space to cook without having to enter the main level of the home. This is especially convenient for aging loved ones that may have trouble making their way upstairs. While a kitchen addition is generally smaller than the main level kitchen, it should have a:
- Custom Cabinets for Storage
A kitchen addition can increase the value of your home and make it more convenient for your loved ones and guests. If you're renting out your home's basement apartment, a kitchen addition will allow you to increase the monthly rent which you could use to make even more improvements to your Fox Valley home.
[ Read More: 8 Kitchen Cabinet Ideas for Your Sycamore Remodel ]
Bedroom Additions and In-Law Suites
If your family is expanding, a bedroom addition or in-law suite might be your best option. Avoid the stress of having to move into a larger home by building an addition like this one. Building a bedroom or in-law suite will increase both the size of your home and its value. You can use your bedroom addition as:
- A nursery for your new arrival
- A spacious master suite
- An in-law suite to provide your aging loved ones with more privacy
- A lively children's room
- The perfect guest retreat
If you want to build a bedroom addition, you'll want to think about what features are most important to you. Incorporating features like a walk-in closet, fireplace, or custom storage may increase your cost, but are well worth the investment in the long run.
[ Read More: Remodeling Plans to Help You Age in Place ]
Home Office or Study Additions
If you work remotely or prefer to have a workspace at home, consider an office addition. You can add enough space for a full-sized desk and seating area. Depending on the zoning restrictions in your area, an office addition could provide you with the space needed to start a business at your home. You could even qualify for a home office deduction on your taxes!
4 REASONS WHY SHOULD YOU CREATE A HOME OFFICE OR STUDY
- Save money and time by not having to commute to work or pay for parking
- Enjoy a quiet area where you can focus solely on your work
- Create a dedicated homework area for your children
- Eliminate distractions in other areas of your home
If you want to build a home office or study addition in your Fox Valley home, you should check out our Room Additions Gallery to view all of our past projects.
Finishing your basement will allow you to expand your living space and increase the value of your Fox Valley home. Your basement is a blank canvas that you can fill in with anything from:
- Home Office
- Media Room / Home Theater
- Home Gym
- Kitchenette and Wet Bar
- Game Room or Play Room
- Wine Cellar
- Music Room
By finishing your basement, you'll have plenty of space to add in any rooms that you want without having to worry about the additional costs of building up or out.
[Read More: 8 Must-Have Features for a Basement Remodel ]